Pages






"For the sound of a broken heart,
Crack a joke."

-A.E. Stallings




Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Work in Progress: Frog Prince



Frog Prince:
a retelling of the Brothers Grimm fairytale...


~ * ~
It wasn’t being a frog that was the problem. Or the fact that I had been a prince beforehand. Or that I had been dumped in some pond far from my kingdom.
No, the problem was that I had to find a girl.
~ * ~
 
 Well, ladies and gentlemen, it's finally happened. After all of my bluster and night long mutterings over how I'd retell the tales of my youth, I finally have one done. Sort of. Mostly done. Erm--how about: done save for the editing process that is then resulting in some rewrites on dialogue as well as a revisitation of the ending. Too wishy washy.... Also, in case you didn't catch it from the aforementioned quote, I've decided to spice up my favorite tale with a retelling from the frog's point of view, with a bit of sass thrown in for fun.

Excuse me a moment as I, ah yes, much better. Now that my mind is out of the gutter. Uh hm, we are looking at a G-rating m'dears...maybe...no. Oh hell, perhaps a PG-rating, but THAT is as far as it goes people. Let me get the initial rewrites done, and then, if copious amounts of bribery insue, I may be inclined to writing a few faity tales with my own brand of the macabre and skanky.

Moreover, moving back to the actual work in progress, I am sorry to say that I will not be posting the entirety of the story onto this blog because I would like, at some future date--preferably in a few years, to have my work professionally published. But being the kind, considerate and fiendish love I am, I will leave you with a few more quotes:

~ * ~
Well, no one ever said that the fairytales had it right. I had a princess. Perhaps not my true love, but it’s not like she had to kiss me, or anything.
~ * ~
She ignored me mostly, but I cannot say that I did the same for her. I watched her, resented her in ways for being allowed to be what I had been cursed for being: spoiled, uncaring of those beneath her, and vain. She seemingly spent hours before her vanity, only to be reduced to a mere human as she slept.
 ~ * ~
 I never told her I was a prince. I guess the fairy thought it would be cheating. But it left me lying here wondering just what she would say upon waking.

 ~ * ~

Again, there will be a few rewrites, but I'm quite content with the personality of my enchanted prince. He had a way of suprising me as I wrote, and he and I have been traveling along together for awhile now--despite how short the tale is, it's been a handful. There's something about a story coming together on its' own though that makes it so much more special to me. I didn't plan out the story every step of the way (save for staying close to the original timeline from the Grimm's version), and a moral actual came out and bit me on the butt right in the middle of writing the scenes. So, I have a special love for this story for not only its ties to frogs, but also because it shared its self with me and allowed me to do the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment