Pages






"For the sound of a broken heart,
Crack a joke."

-A.E. Stallings




Sunday, December 15, 2013

What to say?

Well school is on break and everyone has gone home. Whoops: that was a bit melodramatic, but hey, it's how I feel. You see, I have this long standing habit of playing the hermit (insert all stereotypes here). We're talking no visitors, the loss of time, hairy underarms, and a diet of ramen noodles--it isn't pretty. It's strange how something that frustrates me so much, that of being in college and of being a student, is the very means to my sociability. Whine, whine, whine, I want my friends back. It's sad, I know, but they don't allow for me to sequester myself so effectively. They kick my ass and force me to be sociable... they're trying now, but nothing gets me moving more than the allure of an actual sit down. They know my weakness: I'm a talker, a story-teller that will stand on a soap box all the way up until something, or someone knocks me down. So, welcome friends to the online pity party. It'll be short, I promise, and sadly lacking in alcohol....

In answer, I'm off to my own version of Neverland from the confines of the nest of blankets I've made, the giant shirt that I'm pretty sure I swiped from an old roommate, and a pair of fuzzy socks. Damn, where's the chocolate?

P.s. A recommendation:

I have a special love for this story. I was originally drawn to Robin McKinley due to her rewrites of fairytales (which is the cause of my own love for twisting a tale with my own imagination). What's special about this story is that it is not a retelling of a much treasured fairytale, instead, this is a world created by McKinley herself. And in this world, she provided her readers with a unique main character--a heroine with the strengths so inherent to a person, not merely the stereotypes of a woman or a man, she simply is. Moreover, once you get to know me better, you'll recognize my dislike over the Twi-fic popularity of a love triangle, and although this tale features the outline of one, I dare any reader to find fault in how uniquely McKinley weaves the love story through this tale where a legend is born. Additionally, who can remain untouched by a story where a misfit can become a savior, and where a woman can be a knight facing their demons--ehem, their dragons?

No comments:

Post a Comment