Pages






"For the sound of a broken heart,
Crack a joke."

-A.E. Stallings




Thursday, December 19, 2013

Absences

The holidays are a bitch. There, I said it.

And with my usual aplomb I've been avoiding talking about anything that pertains to just how I truly feel. As you've probably noticed from previous posts, I have this habit of publishing poems that have caught my eye instead of talking about something substantial... get used to it because this is not one of those moments where I forswear ever doing so again. What? The poems are pretty. See? Peace offering.

Ha! Peace. An individual has only a few experiences over the holidays, I've found. First, there're those like me this year who are spending their holiday alone. No family, no friends, no lover. Second, there are those who are surrounded by people but are still alone. That whole concept of being amidst a crowd, screaming bloody murder and not one taking notice. And then third, there are those lucky bastards that are painfully cheerful the whole time. They're up there with those alien morning people. Now don't get me wrong, if you have the third experience then bully for you. Happy freakin holidays... really.

Le sigh. And yes, I was just pretentious enough to type out sigh. I had to. It fits that whole melodramatic vibe I've got going on. Are you laughing yet? Say yes, say yes! That's the point behind this exercise. Exorcise that angst of pop-belly grandpas in too much red, of Rudolph's need for Puffs moisturized tissue, of burnt turkey dinners, of lover less mistletoe, and of all that holiday crap that comes back every year. It doesn't matter.

Want to know the secret? It's you that matters. Get through these seasons where we're engulfed by happy masks and get back to the point of it all. Celebrate your life. Each year feel free to celebrate your thankfulness for family and blah blah blah, but also realize that it is a matter of being thankful for another year that your life continued... another season that you were able to witness. If you make it through then I promise to do the same.

So, happy freakin holidays... I'll see you on the other side.


No comments:

Post a Comment